«And – Action!»
Open Call for African Women Filmmakers.
Invited to submit a film are early career women filmmakers from Western Africa and the Great Lakes region.
The Call’s aim
The Call promotes works by women, early career filmmakers from one of the African countries listed below. Four women directors will be awarded. In addition to the award for the film, the filmmakers will be invited to at least two festivals among our partners. The aim of the call is to showcase the films visibility in Switzerland, Germany and France and to give the directors access to a new audience as well as to new networks.
Who can apply
- The call is addressed to early career women filmmakers. By early career we mean women filmmakers who have produced 1-3 feature films.
- The directors nationality and residency must be among one of the countries listed below. The call is geographically limited to the region of West Africa and the Great Lakes region i.e.:
Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo (Brazzaville), Democratic Republic of Congo, Gambia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea (Conakry), Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra-Leone, Togo, Uganda.
What kind of movies / formats can be submitted
- All genres
- Documentaries, Features or Animated Films
- Long formats with a duration of at least 60 minutes
- Works of recent production, i.e. production year 2019 or later – whereby it is not a condition that the film will be shown as a premiere in FR-GE-CH)
Benefits for the four awarded directors
- The opportunity to present your movie at two festivals in Germany, France or Switzerland.
- Invitation to be present for the showings.
- An award of 2'000 Swiss Francs to the director (not to the production company)
- Subtitling of the awarded films. If a version in French already exists, the additional subtitling in English and vice versa.
How to apply
- Personal information so we can keep you posted on the status of the application
- Biography (not more than 2000 characters )
- Filmography including short films as well as other works
- Factsheet with film title, duration, production year, cast, production, rights holder. Details of releases already made: festivals, cinemas or television.
- The film itself in form of a (vimeo-) link
- Banking details
The partnering Film Festivals are:
- africlap Toulouse FR
- Afrika Film Festival Köln GER
- Black Movie Geneva CH
- Festival cinéma d’Afrique Lausanne CH
When do festivals of the partners take place?
Festival cinéma d’Afrique Lausanne CAL:
17 – 20 August 2023
Afrika Film Festival Köln AFFK:
14 - 24 September 2023
Africlap Toulouse ACT:
09 – 18 November 2023
Black Movie Geneva BMG:
19 – 28 January 2024
Sam Genet, CAL / Sebastian Fischer, AFFK, Bernard Djatang, ACT / Maria Watzlawick, BMG Wendy Bashi, Bruxelles / Anne Delseth, Paris
Dates and schedule
20th March 2023
30th April 2023
End of May 2023
Initiator of the open call:
This open call is initiated and financed by Südkulturfonds.
Südkulturfonds is financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and administered by artlink, Cultural Cooperation. The aim of this funding activity is to facilitate access to the Swiss cultural market and to professional networks for cultural workers from Africa, Latin America, Asia as well from East of Europe (non EU countries), especially from partner countries of Swiss Development and Cooperation.
Markus Baumann, artlink: email@example.com
Loggen Sie sich hier mit Ihren Zugangsdaten ein
Haben Sie noch kein Login? Dann können Sie sich hier registrieren. Es ist ganz einfach.